The Big Coconut: Christmas is in The Air!~


     I'm so sure I will be one of those folks who's going to have a last-minute Christmas shopping. But I don't mind the rush because after all, this usually happens to adults who work a lot. When I was a kid I was so excited as soon as Halloween ends because I know that my family would decorate our living room and would also prepare  menus for our Christmas dinner. I would also be excited because school is closed for the holiday and that would last about three weeks. My sister and niece would come and stay with us for the whole Christmas vacation and everyone is so pumped up in planning what to do and what to buy. It was so fun and it really makes me a bit sad now that I'm all grown up, things are different, not to mention I live far from my family. When you are far from them, you get to remember things a lot. My Mom's homemade ham and potato salad; my Dad's baskets of fruits; my brother's fried dishes and his spaghetti; my sisters desserts and pastries; and our relatives' "food presents". I could remember the smell of the ham roasting in the oven; the sizzling barbecue on the grill; and the sweet scent of cinnamon and chocolate. And the awesome part is that these things doesn't only happen during Christmas day but a week before Christmas! : ) The long preparation was just grand and this was also our family bonding. Those memories are priceless...

     Now, since things are different and I have my partner with me, of course we are going to make things merry and bright! We also do get to decorate and also prepare our menu for our Christmas dinner. We get to meet our close friends a week before Christmas and we get to do a little shopping too. I just realized It's two weeks before Christmas and I haven't finalize everything yet! I do need to get some stuff and stock up so that everything will be ready when I cook and also the presents too. But how can I do that? I don't have any extra time since I still have work until the 24th of December. Yup, that's my life now, trying to balance everything. But I consider this fun because you get to spend it with your loved one. Of course one of my plans for the holiday is to call my family as many times as I can. Plus, I will be sending them a package because I miss them.

     For me, Christmas is about happiness and love whether you are with your family or not. It's about making each day merry and meaningful. If you have a partner like me, I consider my partner as my family and that feels great. You still get to do the cooking and shopping. Distance will not be a hindrance for me and my family because we are in the age of technology - they are just a call or text away. Who knows? Next Christmas my partner and I could fly over to my hometown and visit my family and spend time with them :)

     How about you? What are you plans for this Christmas?


No comments:

Post a Comment